Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Davis Midwinter 2012: The Formal Dinner

Ok, so I lied about completing all the Midwinter-related posts within the week. I don't even have an excuse for this incompetence except that I couldn't be arsed to get my act together. But never fear! The final post is here and, after which, we can all move on from this single event.

Our formal Midwinter's dinner was FORMAL. There were so many courses that I actually wanted to weep in despair when I glanced down onto our menus and realised that we hadn't even gotten onto the Entree course 1.5 hours into the dinner.



In between courses, our Station Leader read out Midwinter greetings from other stations and replies from families and friends to Midwinter invitations sent out. There were many laughs and a few tears (courtesy of the Davis River). Our chef also did a reading of a poem from Banjo Patterson (?) of which I did not recognise because I am not Australian, but it was about a swagman who got his throat cut while he was at a barber's getting a shave. Aussie humour?




Dinner ended at about 10.30 pm after which the Davis Thespian Club presented a play entitled Cinderella and the Fugly Stepsister. It was a success and was roundly followed by the Davis band a.k.a. JKD and the Nimrods (after Captain John King Davis who sailed Mawson and his men to Antarctica aboard the Nimrod; yes we are a witty bunch).



And there you have it. I know this may seem abrupt but it is The End.

4 Comments:

At 8/2/12, 2:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh pictures finally pictures!!! If you know what I mean. LOL!!

 
At 8/5/12, 11:50 PM, Anonymous Melanie said...

kepoh.

 
At 8/6/12, 2:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MESTI!!

 
At 8/17/12, 5:49 PM, Blogger tammeegoreng said...

Oops was I meant to respond that that midwinter letter thing? Anypoo, sounds like that banjo patterson song was a humorous take on that johnny depp movie??? Aussie humour is odd, i will agree.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home