Thursday, April 26, 2012

97th ANZAC Dawn Service at Davis

As the 21st member of the 65th ANARE at Davis, I'm finding myself feeling more and more obliged to immerse myself in all things Australiana. Even though I've been in the country since 2005, I've never felt compelled to go beyond understanding the accent, memorising the public transport routes and knowing the best spots for eating (all three are essential things if you want to survive here). Ever since winter started, I've found myself entering into footy tippings (both NRL and AFL, of which the former I was once Score Leader for 4 weeks but now have to share my place with another insubordinate, le sigh), watching weekly footy games, flogging 'howsit gowin' and 'no worries' like there's no tomorrow, drinking Bundaberg rum (ugh) and eating crackers with vegemite and melted cheese.

Yesterday, my Australiana education took one giant step forward, and I found myself participating in the Davis ANZAC Day Dawn Service. For those of you who don't know what ANZAC Day is, please read this. When I heard the words 'Dawn Service' uttered by the Station Leader, my mouth went dry, because I knew that Dawn Service back in Australia meant getting up at 5.30 in the morning. However, seeing as we are in Antarctica and going into winter, Dawn here means 10.00 am. Sweet.



 

All of us assembled out at the flagpoles, listened to an address from Ali, the flags were raised then lowered to half-mast, we played the Last Post over the sound system, and I had the opportunity to read out a very lovely poem from a John McCrae.

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago 
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, 
Loved and were loved, and now we lie, 
In Flanders fields. 

Take up our quarrel with the foe,
To you from failing hands we throw 
The torch; be yours to hold it high. 
If ye break faith with us who die 
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow 
In Flanders fields. 

We then proceeded to spend the rest of our day drinking rum and watching Australian war movies. We went through Breaker Morant (Boer War), Gallipoli (WWI), Kokoda (WWII) and The Odd Angry Shot (Vietnam War). They were all great movies, but it made me feel really depressed towards the end (especially after watching Breaker Morant and Gallipoli back to back). They completely highlighted the futility and wastefulness that is war - and it was really heartbreaking to watch the enthusiasm of the young men signing up for WWI, because to them, I assume it was more for the adventure than the actual realisation that Death was waiting for them around the corner.



On the last page of the pamphlets that were handed out to us at the Dawn service was a short epithet:

Sacrificed to the fallacy
That war can end war

Second Lieutenant A.C. Young
Royal Irish Fusiliers
Born 9th October 1890
Died 16th August 1917


All photo credits to the other fine and outstanding members on station. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home