Friday, May 04, 2012

We're entering into the month of May now, and I overheard someone in the mess a few nights ago say that we have another approximate 270 days to go on the continent before the ship comes for us. Holy cow, I didn't know if that was a good thing or an evil evil reminder that time waits for no (wo)man!

I have been meaning (HAH haha, yea I've been meaning a lot of things) to put up some photos taken from the previous weeks, but I am lazy.

I am so lazy these days, waking up has been a dead-set bitch of a chore to do. I'm really amazed at how much the lack of sunlight is affecting  me, and how much I've been taking it for granted. Waking up without light pouring in through your window is a pain, and because I've never been the sort of person to wake up before the sun rises, the pain is doubled.

A few days ago, I attempted to fill up the tanks in my bitch-of-an-aquarium (ok la no, I should stop yelling abuses at it and kicking it) and realised that, in the cold, anything and EVERYTHING will fuck up. I had an (un)fortunate associate giving me a hand, and the both of us were working in -20 dC conditions, with winds picking up to a brain-numbingly cold 15 knots, which brought our wind chill factor to about -35 dC fuck our lives. It took us 90 minutes from punching a hole through the ice, to stamping and crushing the hoses to unfreeze them, and finally having water pumping along and into the tanks. All was going good for about 20 minutes, and then the pump ran out of fuel and died. By the time I managed to refill the fuel tank and start the pump again, the water had all frozen in the hoses again MCB FML! At that point I was tired and cold, with my fingers frost-nipped, and in a very very foul mood...so foul in fact, that I was thiiiiissssssssss close to bursting out in tears and asking whatever demi-god of the Antarctic to just give me a fucking break will you JUST GIVE ME A FUCKING BREAK!?

ahem.

But I didn't; I persevered, canned the whole operation and packed up those hoses, now weighing triple their starting weight because of all that damned ice freezing in them, proper solid good. Fuck. Anyway, the hoses are defrosting now and I'm gonna wait for another good warm-ish day to resume my business.

Le sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home