Thursday, August 30, 2012

currently, there is a surplus of sunlight in my life. there is so much sunlight around, i really don't know what to do with it. i've been moving from chair to chair to sofa, trying to hide behind pillars and wooden beams, seeking out the cool and comfort of shadows from which to pass my day. i squint and squint trying to look at the screen of my laptop, holding my hands up against my eyes to make some sense of the typeface spread across the surface. the skin on my face feels the sun; actually, 'feels' may be an understatement - it is being singed ever so slowly but surely.



am i complaining about the sun? is that crazy?



the only upside of all this solar output is that the days are getting longer. and with longer days comes our increased ability to re-explore this land. with the return of the sun, i've been able to go out and see more things and do more things and experience more things. although inducing half-degree burns on my tender skin, it does provide a nice tingly warmth while i'm laying on the snow flat-out on my back.



it makes me feel a little uneasy, how uncomfortable i am around the sun (sometimes). i keep asking myself, "HOW TO SURVIVE AH??" but i guess that's an answer i will have to come to terms with when i'm actually back in the real world.

3 Comments:

At 9/6/12, 2:58 PM, Blogger tammeegoreng said...

I'm wondering... I can sort of imagine what it feels like to be where you are. But .... what does Antarctica smell like??
How do you describe the smell of the ice? I just love how every country or continent has this particular smell.

 
At 9/7/12, 7:53 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

there is no smell! haha ok wait, in summer when the penguins are all in and mating and doing their thing, the whole place smells like shit (penguin shit). then, when the elephant seals move in to our beach later in the summer, it smells of elephant seal pee and shit. so, antarctica is a mix of penguin and sel shit. and when you're indoors, it smells of human, food, deodorant, the occasional perfume, and..when someone forgets to shut the door and the outside smells waft in, we get a mix of penguin and seal shit.

hmmm...i could write a post about this.

 
At 9/13/12, 4:31 PM, Blogger tammeegoreng said...

hahah you know what, i totally can imagine myself there now and smelling all those random animal smells..Kind of like being in a zoo really, but a frozen one! You should totally write a whole post dedicated to the smells of antarctica... a worthy write up before you leave. Go and let that shitty smell envelope your senses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home