Monday, January 30, 2012

Month 1 done.

Tomorrow is the last day of January. I’m not even gonna go down that path anymore. All I can say is: Time, PLEASE SLOW THE FUCK DOWN. There, I’ve said my piece, and now, it’s time to move on.

What have I been doing for the month of January, I hear you ask (ok la, no I don’t hear you guys talking to me at all, I’m just trying to be mengada here)? Well, mostly work. I had a rather somber awakening when I realized it was Chinese New Year and I was, yet again, without ang pows, family, friends and Chor Tai Dee. However that dark cloud quickly dissipated as I'm such a cheery optimist (hah). All in all, Chinese New Year wasn’t too bad on station. Hell, actually, it was pretty awesome! We had rather authentic Chinese cuisine for dinner (courtesy to me, thank you thank you), I had my cheongsam on, there was alcohol – the only thing lacking was the gambling, but then again, I am in no financial state to gamble my money away.


Our assortment of appetizers. Clockwise from right: 5-spice chicken steamed buns, deep-fried pork and prawn wantans, LONG YUK (bak kwa, whatever you wanna call it) and deep-fried pork and prawn mince in plum sauce egg spring rolls (i.e., they were wrapped up in a fried-egg omelette thingo).


What's left of the CNY dinner - the morning after. Roast duck, char siew and siew yoke. Also braise taufu pok with broccoli and mushrooms in oyster sauce (no pictures of that because I was too busy eating on the night itself to bother taking proper photos).

Also, our boating season in Antarctica has well and truly started. The other day, we went to one of the islands not too far from station, and I felt like I was standing on top of the world. No matter how many times I go out in to the field, the scenery never fails to take my breath away. Sometimes I get cocky and say to myself, ‘Aiya, for what go out?? You’ve seen it before, stay indoors only la!’ but then when I DO get out, I’m like ‘Oh my Jesus Christ, this view is amazing!!’ I should really stop being cocky and just appreciate whatever Antarctica throws at me. It’s so beautiful; I really don’t want to leave (ahem)!




Ok la I’m just gonna throw together a bunch of photos even though you’ve probably seen them on Facebook already. I just want to keep reminding myself how lucky I am to be here!

2 Comments:

At 3/19/12, 10:42 AM, Blogger tammeegoreng said...

wow so how did you prepare all that food??? I mean obviously you got the chefs to follow your procedure but im fairly sure you don't know how to make all those dishes!!!
Sorry i'm delayed commenting!

 
At 3/19/12, 2:23 PM, Anonymous Melanie said...

haha no worries. aiya, there's such an invention called Google ok..just google the recipe la! the kitchen here is pretty well-stocked and we've got all the basics that we need (oyster sauce, soya sauce etc).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home