Thursday, January 19, 2012

Enter the Dragon

Late night blogging, I have missed you.

It's been awhile since I've laid back in bed, propped up against pillows, head craned at an impossible angle (and one that any decent self-respecting chiropractor will look at with disgust and disapproval) with my laptop lying on my stomach. Just...typing away. It's a nice feeling; a strangely-familiar sensation, like walking down the hallways of your primary school, or, sitting down at a restaurant you frequented as a child a long long time ago, or, hearing the door creak open and seeing your beloved walk in.

Anyway, tonight's post is brought to you by the Foo Fighters live at Hyde Park 2006. But before I go into too much detail, here's a little backstory to fill you in: on station, we have a home theatre system. Most nights are Weekly Theme Nights. For e.g., Monday nights are Stargate SG-1 Nights. Tuesday nights are Disney Cartoon Nights. Today, being a Wednesday, meant that it was Live Music Night. And for this week's Live Music Night, we had the pleasure of watching Foo Fighters' frontman Dave Grohl sing and scream and sweat his heart and soul out to 85 000 screaming adoring fans at, yes, Hyde Park.

As he was belting his tunes out, one particular line stood out and started running circles in my head. It is the last line of All My Life, and it just keeps looping and looping and looping:

Done done on to the next one.

That pretty much sums up my days here on station and how I'm feeling now. Done done on to the next one. I'm ticking each day off as though I'm answering the medical form for my annual Antarctic Medica Checkupl. "Do you suffer from: short-sightedness (no), diabetes (no), heart murmur (no), asthma (no), conjunctivitis (no), shortness of breath (no), herpes (no), AIDS (no), halitosis (no...er, maybe)."

You get the drift.

For the first time, I feel as though I'm running out of time, and yet, each day is done done and I find myself going on to the next one. I mean, Jesus motherloving Christ, it is already THURSDAY! What happened to Monday?? I'll tell you what happened to Monday, it got done and I moved on to the next one, that's what happened.

Here I was, thinking: Gee whiz, Christmas and the New Year celebrations have come and gone - here's to another year! Now, I have something more to worry about - Chinese New Year! Dear God, ANOTHER CHINESE NEW YEAR away from home??? The answer is, unfortunately, yes. However, this year's CNY celebrations on station promises to be a better one, in culinary terms anyway. As of the start of this week, I have made 5kgs worth of Long Yuk or Bak Kwa or, more commonly known as HOMG-What-Is-This-Wondrous-Piece-Of-Sweet-Barbecued-Pork-Before-Me????, wrapped about 200 wontans, rolled a huge pot-full of tong yuen stuffed with peanuts, and there is still more to come! Roast duck, siew yoke AND char siew! Chinese New Year, come to mama.

The sad thing, though, is that, like Christmas and NYE, my 2012 Chinese New Year will most probably come with a bang, and then creep away from me like a thief in the night with no warning at all. All that anticipation, preparation and excitement for approximately 10 hours of fun (assuming that dinner starts at 6.30 pm and that I will eventually go to bed at 4.30 am, after heavy bouts of drinking and merry-making).

Then I'm done done and on to the next one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home