Monday, January 09, 2012

2011 Wrap around!

Hello again in the year 2012! My initial plan was to put up 12 photos for the past 12 months, but my procrastinating self got the better of me. There is much to be done: urchins to be killed, seawater to collect, larvae to count, movies to watch, songs to listen to, meals to be eaten, darts to be thrown, jokes to be laughed out loud at...you get the drift.



I can't say that I have much to complain about 2011. It was good to me, as good as it could be anyway. I have to admit that there were a few low-points throughout the year. Most of it were finance-related, but then again, hey...it probably could've been worse. At the end of the day, I'm still here being self-sufficient and not somewhere out on the streets of Sydney prostituting myself, so it's all good.



Perhaps it is a sign of pride, but I loath the idea of having to ask for monetary hand-outs from my parents now that I am actually working, however intermittently and irregularly. Perhaps it is also guilt, because they have paid for my tertiary education and all I have is a piece of paper telling me that I've graduated from a degree, that, at the end of the day, doesn't really repay them (and me) in dividends at all. If I were a lawyer, for e.g., perhaps I would be able to send them off for holidays around SE Asia, or buy dinner once in awhile. But I can't; not right now. But it's still good - I justify my 'unfilialness' (HAH!) by not asking them for any money at all and working out my problems for myself.



Really, I guess it's not too bad - I'm doing something that I love and I'm working in one of the remotest and most inaccessible places in the world. I should be thankful. I AM thankful.



Financial woes aside, 2011 was particularly memorable because I felt like I was rekindling and strengthening old relationships with old friends. I had one of the best holidays in a long time with two friends whom I've known since we were 7 - and all I can say is, I love you guys (eew..). There was so much laughter and giggles and stupid childish fun, something I was missing for a long long time. I believe we got to know each other a lot better, but I guess there's still more to be learnt. Vang Vieng 2012, Baby and Bruce?



In the months of 2011, I also learnt how to release the reins on everything I used to hold on to in the past. It took me awhile to figure it out and actually realise that there is a lot of truth in what someone very dear to me said a very long time ago. That it doesn't matter even if things end; at the end of the day, we should dwell on the good memories and be thankful that we ever had good memories at all (perhaps I am quoting him wrong, but it goes along those same lines). Whatever the right quote is, I was in love with one of the greatest guys ever. However, like all things Life-related, things happened and one day we realised that things just weren't meant to be. We're still best of friends though, and he is still my occasional Chettiar wtf so it's all cool.



Now, I am lucky enough to have found myself another great guy. I don't do this often: write about the people I am seeing, but he is very good, and I feel very thankful and lucky and blessed. I'm old enough now to know not to pour blind faith into every person I give my heart to, but I think, no wait...I hope that this will turn out to be a good thing.



Cheerio!

7 Comments:

At 1/10/12, 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh Mel, success should not be measured in monetary terms or material gains although owning a flashy porsche might perhaps provide a boost to the ego but not necessarily happiness. You are truly BLESED doing something u love (& now in a place where only the privileged few have a chance to soak in God's wonders), enjoy true friendship & have parents who care for you.

 
At 1/10/12, 10:36 PM, Anonymous Melanie said...

thanks MUM.

 
At 1/11/12, 5:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ho vang vieng-o!! and...they got the muppets down there too eh??!!

 
At 1/11/12, 6:34 PM, Anonymous Melanie said...

lol bontot punya tabitha chang. no i don't think there are any muppets down there but we shall see.

 
At 1/17/12, 12:14 AM, Blogger Daniel said...

Great post Mel.

Wish I had spent more time with you in 2011.

 
At 1/17/12, 4:43 PM, Anonymous Melanie said...

Ahh..DAN! haha at least we had a meal at Garamerica so that's all good! how's things going, and congrats on your sister's wedding! I hope you had a great time in Malaysia!

 
At 2/3/12, 4:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes two people are meant to meet, help each other along the way, and then part ways.. that way you look at the good things, and wont regret anything after

 

Post a Comment

<< Home