Thursday, September 27, 2012

With only 7 or so weeks to go to, all of us have officially entered, what has come to be known as, The Last Quarter (dramatic, kan?). For most of us, sentiments have changed; I know for a fact that my feelings for this place has altered significantly.

A month ago, if someone has asked me whether I'd like to get out of Antarctica then and there, I would have said yes without the slightest of hesitation. Everyone on station (bar a few individuals) were going through some serious bouts of Third Quarter Syndrome: symptoms include (but not limited to) lethargy, no motivation for work, moping, constant perusal of ASOS and other online shopping sites, grumpiness, conspicuous loss of tolerance towards snide remarks, constant perusal of travel-blogs, abject reminiscences of 'the real world', and a general overtone of whininess. I'm not saying that I was afflicted by all of the above, but I definitely ticked a few boxes. Some of the more experienced expeditioners rationalised that it was normal for us to feel this way; the Third Quarter is when you've already done so much time yet it feels as though the end-point is so far away. Do you understand what I'm trying to get at?

Anyway, seeing as we've entered the Last Quarter now, most people's mood has picked up (bar a few individuals who are still adamant about remaining whiny and grumpy). Take myself for example: a small part of me has done a back-flip and am hoping that time will slow down again (although I've wished for this a bajillion times and it's never come true, but a woman can have hope and faith, can't she??). As much as I want to get home and embark on my holidays and new adventures, I know that I'm really going to miss this place when I leave. After all, it has become my home for the past 10 months and a bit. I know I'm going to miss the people I've spent time with down here, the camaraderie that everyone has with each other, and the ease at finding someone to have a beer and a chat with. It's strange.

Like I've mentioned before, this whole experience feels like an extreme version of OBS. I used to be quite gutted each time an OB course ended, because I would miss the people and the laughter and the good times we shared. I don't think this will be any different.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home