Tuesday, April 03, 2012

Davis 2011/12 Final Summer Saturday Dinner!

Now that the madness of Summer has ended, I can finally give myself some breathing space to put in a proper blog entry. As is the tradition at Davis, the last Saturday night of the summer season is always a lavish and formal affair. This year was no exception. We were treated to great food by the chefs (pictures of which I have none, apart from the amazing dessert, which you will see in a few moments), men and women in sleek-looking suits and pretty cocktail dresses (still thinking about that white dress we saw at Paddington AGES ago with the scalloped open back, Tammy), exceptional wines, awards handed out to a select few for their summer achievements (I won Best Summer Science Effort *bows*), amazing company and a live band towards the end of the night.


Linc came dressed appropriately as the Ceremonies Mistress, Nurse Sue Lutt.

It was probably one of the best Saturday nights I've ever had in Antarctica. However, for all its gaiety, it kind of felt a little sad for me, too, because I knew there were a lot of people around me that I would have to say goodbye to in a few days' time and would probably never see again. A lot of the summerers were really good friends of mine, and in effect, became something of a family away from home, hastily put together by the environment and circumstance that we found ourselves in.



No matter, I'm sure those friendships I intend to keep will still be able to pick themselves up from wherever we left off. Plus, new adventures await around the corner!!!




An amazingly melt-in-your-mouth chocolate mousse with associated condiments. 10/10 for yumminess and aesthetics!



How the Davis mess at the new Living Quarters looks like now. Pretty spectacular, it can fit all expeditioners in one sitting!





As the night wore on, so did everyone's visual focus.





The Big Orange Taxi, compromising of 11 musicians, took to the stage towards the end of the night and turned the LQ into a rock concert venue.

2 Comments:

At 4/12/12, 11:11 PM, Blogger tammeegoreng said...

What a cute little dessert!

Don't worry, there will always be more beautiful clothing and dresses to find.
I am slowly fully committing to a healthier skinnier Tammy, therefore look forward to finding nice clothings for my new me when you return.
And if I look the same, well then I will just have to forgo any shopping until then boo hoo!

 
At 4/16/12, 4:19 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

ahh..i've been trawling ASOS and anything vaguely related to online shopping recently. can't wait to come home and start buying shit again! and yea, i've started hitting the gym here too, because all that dessert and alcohol is taking a toll on my tummy rolls.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home