Saturday, August 06, 2011

As much as I hate to say it (because, after all, Sydney IS a great city to be in), my life post-Winter-in-Melbourne is a bit of an anti-climax. Since my holiday ended, it has been nose-to-grindstone for me. Basically, what I'm trying to say is: My life isn't very interesting nor exciting for the time being. As I don't actually have any pearls of wisdom to impart to my readers (haha, readers..more like reader) today, and seeing as it is already 12.50 a.m. here and I'm still not sleepy (insomnia), I shall just do a quick update on what I've been up to.

1) I think I have bitten off more than I can chew. In my quest to Find As Much Money As I Can To Pay Rent And Live Semi-Comfortably Without Having To Resort To Prostitution Or Handouts From My Parents, I've taken up the role as a demonstrator for Introduction To Molecular Biology MBLG 1001. The reason why I say I am sort-of floundering in deep water is because the last time I handled anything remotely molecular biology-ish was back in first year of uni. In essence: A long time ago. It is not something that I don't think I'm incapable of picking up after reading the prac manual a couple of times or more, but, coupled with my intense loathing and scorn for First Year students (I will give an explanation as to why I feel this way a few weeks down the track, once I am fully steeped in First Year filth), it makes this job that much more challenging. I'll see how I pull through out of this one.

2) Ever since I received the greenlight for a third and final (HAHA) season in Antarctica, I have been going on a food bender. Last Friday, as I was walking home from work and struggling with the idea of cooking dinner for myself, I ended up with a 2 pieces of the most amazingly deep-fried fried chicken from Clem's Chicken Shop on King St, Newtown and a pint of tri-flavoured gelato (bitter dark chocolate, lychee and mango). Then on Sunday, I went to Paddy's market and stocked up on fruit: mandarins, slightly over-riped persimmons (eaten) and a pineapple (also eaten). Continuing on the same vein, on Wednesday, a friend from Antarctica paid me a visit in the lab and we ended up at Max Brenner's to discuss our project Plan of Attack for 2011-12, with me sipping a tall cup of toffee milk chocolate frappe. You think that's bad? Today, Hong and I decided to have a day off and went to the beach. The weather was gorgeous and I ended up with a double beef 'n cheese burger (McD's), a salted caramel eclair and two macarons (salted caramel and passionfruit; all three from Patisse) all of which I enjoyed by the rockpools of Little Bay. Talk about living the dream. Then for dinner, I had the world's biggest sushi. It might all seem a bit excessive, but my theory is this: seeing as I shall be depriving myself from the sort of food that I love, I might as well savour it all NOW. Brilliant plan, 10/10.

3) I still have so much seratonin pumping through my brain right now as a result of a conversation I had last night, perhaps it is what's contributing to this state of insomnia. Happy days.

4) I can't stop browsing through ASOS...Help!! Through some Herculean feat of willpower, I managed to stop myself from buying a pair of dungaree shorts, even though it was half-price. Because I told myself I needed to save money if I wanted to achieve this food bender. Even though it was half-price.

5) I'm just adding on a point #5 even though I don't have anything more to say, because I'm chinese and superstitious and didn't want this post hanging at #4. Mission accomplished.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home