Friday, August 11, 2006

The Great Debate.

The world is divided into Biologists and Physicists. You may be a lawyer, an accountant or a business-person (being politically correct here)…someone completely non-affiliated with the scientific world in terms of profession…but still, your allegiance WILL lie somewhere.

Personally, I’m not much of a Physics fan. Actually, let me rephrase that. I cannot stand Physics. I hate Physics. Physics is the bane of my life and will be my death knell in years to come. My loyalty lies in Biology.

Ah…the Biological Sciences. Even the term has a far superior ring to it. Biology is great, fun, interesting, hands-on and most of all, it helps me cope with and understand why I’ve come to obtain a flat nose. It made me understand that it wasn’t my fault.

But I digress. We are not discussing about aesthetics but rather the finer points of science.

Now, if you haven’t already known, Biologists and Physicists are not always the best of friends. We tend to not get along with each other. There has long been a question of which branch of science is the most superior of all: Is it the science which has given birth to such questions as the evolution of mankind or the understanding of the human physiology? Or is it the science which calculates the trajectory, speed and height of a tennis ball tossed into the air by a student named Ah Kong/Ahmad/Ramu?

Evidently, the reason for these differences in opinions lies in the core understanding of each of the sciences.

To the biologist, the smallest unit is the ‘Cell’, be it plant cell or animal cell. We understand that our bodies are made up of millions upon billions of cells. That’s what we are. We are congregates of cells.

However, to the physicists, the smallest unit is the atom. And then, they began telling everyone that EVERYTHING in this world was comprised of atoms; you, me, the tree, the grass, the bed, the laksa you ate this morning, the poop you did after the laksa…they are ALL made of atoms. Later still, they were not satisfied, and they began ripping into the poor atom and deduced that the atom WASN’T the smallest thing on Earth after all! No no, you see, the atom is in fact comprised off protons and neutrons and electrons which spin around the protons and neutrons and make pretty p-, s-, d-orbitals. Very ingenious.

Now, here is where it all gets a bit tricky. The tv is made of atoms. Can accept. The bed is made of atoms. Still can accept. The laksa is made of atoms. Must squint a bit and use imagination…but after awhile, still can accept. What I CANNOT accept is the fact that I am made of atoms. I cannot fathom that I have electrons spinning at the very ends of my strands of hair to the tips of my long slender fingers (ehheh). It just doesn’t happen.

For shame, physicists, shame. Leading the world on like that.

Ah...I'm gettin sleepy. But before I go, here's a sort-of parting gift.

If it explodes or gives off a bad smell, it's Chemistry.
If it bites or scratches, it's Biology.
If it doesn't work, it's Physics.

Thank you thank you.

11 Comments:

At 8/12/06, 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Biological cells are made out of atoms, no?

 
At 8/12/06, 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

trying taking biophysics in UNSW together with me.. maybe u can find the connection btwn these 2.

 
At 8/12/06, 4:14 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

lol..i should put a disclaimer and ban engineering students from commenting. i do not practice freedom of speech.

but your suggestion is quite interesting, cch.

 
At 8/12/06, 7:08 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

it the sum of the whole is less than the parts, its accounting.

 
At 8/12/06, 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow.... 4 former S3 students on one post... this is a new record!

 
At 8/12/06, 11:11 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

hahahaha...thanks for that advice, dan. i'll keep it in mind when i'm doing my tax returns.

yea..i know! cch NEVER comments! and i never knew he read my blog as well..surprise surprise..

 
At 8/13/06, 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if it is abstractive, it is art.okay?

 
At 8/13/06, 1:33 AM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

lol...are we starting a trend here..guys?

 
At 8/13/06, 9:39 PM, Blogger galnexdor said...

musculoskeleton and muscle performance...biology.

speed, inertia, momentum...physics.

satisfaction - [cost of race fees + transport + time] = reasonable trade off...accounts.

sassy Nike top, funky Adidas shorts, thrilling Mizuno shoes...art.

when in doubt, come running with me. it's a harmonious sport. :)

 
At 8/13/06, 10:41 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

hahahhaha...very well put, ren.

 
At 2/4/07, 2:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking for information and found it at this great site... » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home