Thursday, September 05, 2013

hello to you, if you are reading this, and it has been so long! i didn't mean to drop off the interweb (AGAIN!) but I suppose life got in the way. so much has happened since my last entry and i feel i should do justice to you and to myself be giving a quick rundown on what has been happening.

so - life went on a slow, yet not-so-slow start upon my big move to Melbourne. you may remember that i was feeling a bit helpless and moody and slightly depressed about my depleting bank account, increasing credit card debt and overall sense of joblessness during the first couple of months. on hindsight, i think i was being a little too naive. i had never been exposed to the realities of the working world, and in my head, i honestly thought i would swan into Melbourne, send out job applications, receive loads of calls to interviews and have a job lined up and started within 3 weeks.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA. let me take a moment's rest to wipe the tears of mirth from my eyes.

anyway, as we all know, that didn't happen. sure, i went for a few interviews, but overall it was slim pickings. the powers that be who were in charge of jobs that i really wanted didn't think i had what it took to fulfill their job description. bummer, but oh well, c'est la vie. in the end i landed an interview with a food testing laboratory in the role of a chemical analyst. i wasn't too sure if that was the path i wanted to be heading down, but hey, when you owe Commonwealth Bank over $2k, you take whatever you can get. in the end, the company did hire me, and i've been working with them for 2 months as of now.

strangely enough, i'm really enjoying my work. the pay isn't great (the pay is shit) but the people are really nice, the atmosphere is very relaxed, there is no politics, the work is interesting to me as someone coming in from a completely different field of study, plus it is a 10-minute commute from my current dwelling. i'm not sure if it's something i'd want to continue on for a longer term (my current contract for now is 6-months with a STRONG CHANCE of becoming a permanent staff) but i guess we'll see how it goes once my contract is about to come to an end.

aside from work, i'm really starting to feel at home in melbourne. it is weird to think that i've already been here for 4 months. it doesn't feel that long a time, but then, it also doesn't feel as though i've been anywhere else BUT melbourne. i miss sydney sometimes, friends, cousins, chu heee, the beaches...but other than that, everything in melbourne is able to satisfy my needs. i've been actively exploring the city and its by-lanes, alleyways and in-between-buildings with Adam on the weekends and getting involved with the whole cultural aspect of the city: attending film festivals, visiting buildings involved in Open House Melbourne, popping into the National Gallery of Victoria to see a collection of artworks by Monet, and etc. it is something i never did when I lived in Sydney, because i could never be bothered, or because i always thought "yea I have all the time in the world". it's a pity really, because i think Sydney had so much to offer too, except i was blind and not motivated enough to get my ass moving. i don't want to fall into the same sense of complacency and have the same thing to happen to me here in Melbourne.

i'm absolutely loving it here. i wish i did it sooner. but that being said, the timing was never right, and perhaps i wouldn't have felt as strongly about it as i do now. oh well, as i said before, c'est la vie.








My view each day while waiting for the train to take me home from work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home