Wednesday, December 26, 2012

hello everyone! the whole antarctic adventure thing is over, i am already back in Malaysia. the last few days i spent on station was a complete blur. the ship came ino the bay, helicopters flew in with new people and new cargo, we had a personnel change-over, the helicopters flew us out onto the ship, and before we knew it, it was two-engines-on and we were steaming back towards Hobart.

it took us 9 days to cross the Southern Ocean. i had 2 nights in Hobart. said my goodbyes to my friends who became my family for 12 months. flew to Sydney and spent 4 nights with my relatives. caught up with my Sydney friends and the Sydney lifestyle. flew to Malaysia. reunited with my family and caught up with more friends and relatives. attended a wedding dinner. celebrated Christmas.

and now, here i am on Christmas night, finally trying to digest everything that has happened. it has been such a whirlwind. i haven't even had time to slowly digest the fact that i've left Antarctica behind and that i'm actually, finally, really back in Malaysia. i don't have to dream realistic dreams of home anymore and wake up feeling disoriented. i don't have to keep telling the Davisites all about the food i will eat when i get home, because i am eating it all already.

i would be lying if i said i didn't miss the antarctic. however, the fact that i have to keep retelling my stories and my experiences whilst i was there is keeping my brain from finally registering that i have left. eh? what i'm trying to say is, i don't feel like i have left just yet, because each time i tell my stories, i get transported back to the station. let's see how long this feeling lasts.

it feels good to be home though. no, actually, it feels great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home