Sunday, April 14, 2013

Antarctica, I miss you.

Tonight, I was going to write something along the lines of how I've booked my ticket for Melbourne (arrival 3.40pm, 20 April), how I'm suddenly feeling nervous/scared/apprehensive/all of the above, and how i have to figure out a way of cutting apart all these imaginary strings running out of me and attaching themselves to various things that is Sydney.

However, I made the mistake of going through This-Week-At-Davis, and then I went through This-Week-At-Casey, and then This-Week-At-Mawson, and then I browsed the website for the Elysium Exhibition on Antarctica, and then I browsed through my own photos taken in Antarctica, and now...I'm here.

I desperately miss the 'Tarc. I miss the coldness (I know, don't ask). I miss the white glariness of the ice and snow. I miss looking up into the night and staring into a sea of stars that go on forever and ever. I miss the quietness and solitude. I miss the amazing displays of oh-so-rare Auroras. I miss the smelly penguins, fuck I even miss the smelly farting burping seals. I miss the people and the camaraderie. I miss the sense of adventure. I miss the times when it starts to snow ever so softly and gently and everything gets covered in a soft, white and fluffy blanket. I miss having the cinema and its thousands of cinematic choices. I miss the solemn and majestic icebergs. I miss the Sorsdal. (The only thing I don't miss is the wind).

I miss my old life there.

I truly understand now, what they mean when they talk about getting ice in your veins. I wish teleport machines have been invented. I'm not exactly desperate and dying to spend another 14 months on the ice...I'd just like to be able to visit for a week or so, get my fill of the place again and then say Adios. I guess I'll just have to dream myself back into that old familiar and comfortable life. A life free from worries and petty day-to-day bothers; free from mobile phones and telemarketers; free from rent, grocery shopping and cooking (apart from the occasional slushy day); free from bills and financial obligations.

A life free from reality.

1 Comments:

At 4/14/13, 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Free from reality...true..reality sucks..often wants to stuck inside tat ignorant bubble

 

Post a Comment

<< Home