Sunday, September 16, 2007

My week.

last friday i did the unimaginable. i cooked a 6-course dinner for a party of 10. not only did my kitchen, my wok, my pots, my stash of cooking sauces and miscellanous seasonings and i survived the ordeal but we, as a team, emerged triumphant and victorious!


N.B.: soya sauce and cooking caramel in the background and a bottle of BS in the foreground to help my keep my wits together in times of trial.

on the menu was:
1. curry chicken (which was fabulous)
2. sambal ikan bilis (mindblowing can rival the makcik yg jual nasi lemak kat gerai tepi jalan)
3. pork in plum sauce
4. shredded cabbage with dried prawns and glass noodles
5. a mix of broccoli, carrots, straw mushrooms and dried beancurd stir-fried with oyster sauce
6. kueh dadar (fucking awesome on par with the ones offered in that peranakan restaurant in Malacca with the huge cardboard cutouts of a Baba and a Nyonya..fucking can't remember the name right now)

the reason for my seemingly overambitious feat was because a friend (white) was pressuring me to cook malaysian food for him...and me being a spineless pushover, naturally succumbed to pressure and consented towards the idea. nevertheless, i must really thank him for i'd never know my hidden talents within the culinary department if not for his persistence.

so sorreh, no pictures of the food because i was an hour behind schedule and ended up being really flustered and was working under pressure to get the food served on time. by the time the lauk dihidangkan, they fell upon it like ravenous beasts and all thoughts of snapping pretty pictures for the masses (or rather, for my mom to assure her that i am capable of producing decent home-cooked meals) had left my mind.


3/10 satiated.
oh, presenting my new couch btw.

although, knowing how things work themselves out eventually, i have a feeling another malaysian night will be on the cards soon enough. and by then, i'll probably have mastered the art of time management and will have some sense left during the aftermath to take food-pics.

in lesser news, spring is here! and with it comes unpredictable bouts spring-showers, the occasional thunderstorm worthy of being called tropical, endless days of bright sunshine, the cooling winds, and of course, FLOWERS!





I thought about my kailan when i snapped this photo.



it's strange to think that this might potentially be my last Sydney Spring.

10 Comments:

At 9/17/07, 8:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing I can think of when spring comes is the darned Aussie flies!

 
At 9/17/07, 5:11 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

isn't that summer? ALTHOUGH ALTHOUGH! i saw my first fly the other..it was massive and was flying in my room..

 
At 9/18/07, 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WAH...so honoured!!! A REAL POPPY FLOWER! can pluck it n send to me ah??? hahaha...ok lah, c, i also so good, i play along signin in DA identity...wth???

 
At 9/18/07, 12:20 AM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

lol @ kailan..of course la cannot send over..later kantoi with the Border Security people..kena deported back to KL before i can fulfil my life's mission.

 
At 9/18/07, 3:30 AM, Blogger BaBy MiLo said...

damn. I want that food. Mel, tolong masak untuk saya!

 
At 9/18/07, 5:07 AM, Blogger evil yun said...

teachhhh meeeee how to cook sambal ikan bilisssssssss!!!!! =D WAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

 
At 9/18/07, 4:53 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

pig: hahahaha! well, if you come down to sydney..i'll cook for you la. lol..there, incentive!

yun: oooh!! okok..msg me on msn and i'll give you the recipe it's fucking easy actually! but just that you need the ingredients la..not sure if ireland can get anot.

 
At 9/18/07, 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wat's ur life mission ah btw??? :P

 
At 9/18/07, 5:34 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

eheheheheeeehehehe..
kenot tell here la..ssshhhh.
HOI SLACKING OFF WORK AR?! tsktsk.. terrible.

 
At 9/19/07, 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

n i jz notice lah...might be last spring??? WTH lah? cannot lah, i still havent visted sydney leh...n i wan dat cocktail too...hahahaha

p/s: work's boring lah..BUT obviously I HABIS MY KERJA 1st b4 graffiti ur blog rite? hahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home