Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Knackered and Warrah.

i am so very tired. in the span of 7 days i have handed in 5 reports, 2 research proposals, attended a field trip and given a presentation. the amount of work thrown at us is insane...i tell myself that the worst has passed and that it can only go uphill from here, but i secretly know that salvation will only come in July.

AHHH! damn you Sydney University! if i had wanted so much work thrown at me i'd have done architecture or..or..aeronautical engineering! i'm a marine biologist DAMN IT! all we do is chase after dolphins and lie in the sun..!!! GET YOUR DAMNED FACTS RIGHT!

So anyway, back to the field trip: it was a 3-day-2-night affair to Warrah, which is about 2 hours north of Sydney. We were supposed to conduct a self-designed experiment and in the case of my group, our aim was to see if variations in water temperature would have an effect on the metabolic rate of organisms found in the tide pools. So essentially we spent the 3 days chasing after a species of marine snails called Nerita. Very cute.

And i'm loving Warrah so so much..i'm missing it already!!! bah..i wish i didn't have to come home. i really really really wouldn't mind staying there for a whole week just chasing after snails and seastars and getting salt spray on my face.

Pictures, after which i plan to hermit-ise my self and do battle with the ever-growing number of reports.




These are my group members: Emily-with-the-red-bucket and Nick on top, Hunt-y and Samantha with me. We are the snail-chasers.



This is the room in which we stayed in. The field station did not have enough rooms or beds to accommodate all of us, and since we were the last group to arrive, we were room- and bedless. then someone came up with a brilliant idea for all 5 of us to crash in the living room, so there you have it, mattresses and pillows on the floor and a seemingly never-ending slumber party.




The rock platform where we collected our samples. i positively cannot get enough of that place because it was just TEEMING with marine animals. i get terribly excited when i see a seastar.

Young Scientists At Work.





We had to calibrate and test out our thermo-sensor before we ventured out into the field for fear it might fuck up our experiment. The highest record for temperature of breath stands at 35degC..just so you know.



And of course, presenting Nerita!



Check out its cute little feelers! I really miss my snails...*gloom*.



Best field trip EVER..!

5 Comments:

At 5/2/07, 1:00 PM, Blogger tammeegoreng said...

wow so you have assignments all next week too?

do you want me to come over and cook for you?!

 
At 5/2/07, 1:09 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

lol..no that's alright. my maggi's sufficient. but if you want to, feel free to pop over!

oh yea..do you want me to make reservations for you? for how many people? or should i just give you their number?

 
At 5/3/07, 8:36 PM, Blogger tammeegoreng said...

oh yeah i forgot..... if you have their number i can easily book myself :D thanks!!! but yeah,... there's 10 coming so far, max 12.

 
At 5/6/07, 4:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These nerita snail reminds me a lot of barnacles. Though this is a cuter version.

I still remember when I told my mate I got my scratch from those barnacles and he was like don't speak tamil to me. HAHAHHAH. Classic.

I'm so jealous you get to go for some sort of expedition for your little experiment. Mass comm is getting me on my nerve. I don't like it. I hate having to say things that I don't mean it to bring people up. Feels like a go go dog in some ways.

 
At 5/6/07, 4:52 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

hey jeaney! hahaha..yea..i still remember when you freaked out by barnacles when we were little.

yea..marine science rocks! although it's slowly killing me..but it still rocks nontheless. hang in there with your mass comm la..you'll learn to enjoy it in the end.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home