Wednesday, April 18, 2007

I quote Austen.

It is a truth universally acknowledged yet treated with much scepticism that the decision to move out into the world on your own will bring great changes to your lifestyle and any principles that you may have generated prior.

The matter in which i'm trying to illustrate is that ever since moving out, i have found myself becoming increasingly...domesticated. I have taught myself to be extremely thrifty up to the point where every 70cents i shell out makes me go..."Ahh..there goes another lime". I also find myself deriving extreme pleasure when grocery shopping; prowling up and down the aisles of Coles and Paddy's market for the best bargains on chicken breat meat, garlic and potatoes. I daresay my mother would be very proud of me.

And when i'm in the shower at the end of the day, my method of relaxation is to conjure up recipes for tomorrow as i decide what i shall be cooking for lunch and dinner. A conversation which would normally run through my head goes like this:

Ahh...what to cook tomorrow?
Eh, you have damn a lot of kangkung in the fridge la.
Yea ok, but i lazy wanna cook that for lunch la!
Just chuck into the maggi, chuck and egg and some mushrooms.
Mmm..ok. *imaginary sceptical look*
And then dinner i think i'll make chicken stew. Meaaaattt...*imaginary self-satisfied smile*
Eh, no...maybe i'll cook rice instead...seriously damn lot of vegetables la, cannot keep.
Aahhhh...rice very mafan la.
Hmmm...what to cook tomorrow?

Every single night. Without fail.

Which leads me to this final point which i personally find so damning on myself and my own character. Ever since moving out, i've found this particular trait slowly yet surely creeping upon me and overwhelming me...enveloping me in its foul black smoke of deceit. I fear i may have become semi-vegetarian!!!



As you can see from the above, half of my fridge's contents comprise of vegetables (there were more yesterday..i've already done damage to the current population today), in little bags which i have so painstakingly and lovingly allocated for each meal. I did not even realise that i was doing some such thing. It does not help The Cause that vegetables are so much more cheaper than meat. Furthermore, i find myself becoming more anxious about my fibre intake, now that i'm living by myself. It is terrible; this feeling of having to be responsible for your own actions.

And for two days in a row now, i've had Maggi Mee curry flavour with an egg scrambled into the soup together with a great big handful of kangkung and sliced up fresh mushrooms thrown in. Yea...the sceptic in me was blown away by how delicious it tasted...albeit an entirely vegan meal.

I feel as though i'm selling out my principles and hardcore Nazi stance on how vegetables are all things evil. If one day you find me *God forbid* chewing on a stalk of celery, please do me a favour and shoot me. One clean shot, aimed clearly at my left temple. That is all i'm asking.

p.s. in a vain attempt to salvage what is left of my carnivorous self, i cooked myself a proper breakfast this morning, none of the milk+sultana bran shit. scrambled eggs with cheese and 4 rashes of BACON on a slice of toast. yum.

11 Comments:

At 4/19/07, 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i spotted da PANTANG words!!!

1. domesticated
2. vegetables
3. coles
4. market
5. cooking!!!

5/5! ;p

hallelujah! ah girl, i'm so PROUD of u lah!

p/s: try wanton lah...it's wanton week for me...HA HA HA

 
At 4/19/07, 2:40 AM, Blogger evil yun said...

ewww.. veggie.. yucks =P

 
At 4/19/07, 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

stop taking pictures of ur hse mate's fridge. ur fridge is FULL of ALCOHOL and nth else

 
At 4/19/07, 12:47 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

kailan: huu..wanton? you mean, i have to make it myself? lazy la.

yun: hahahaha..are you a fellow vegie hater too? WHEE!

cch: THAT is my fridge ok?! the evidence..corona at the bottom..bwahahaha. shit man, you're slandering my good reputation..

 
At 4/19/07, 9:11 PM, Blogger Oil Central said...

cch that's what I was just about to say... I thought Melanie's fridge was full of alcohol, not veges... where got veges.. must be a photoshopped photo la

 
At 4/19/07, 10:00 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

WOT! yong waiking, you SAW my fridge the other day when you brought the roast duck over? remember? or do i have to remind you? read the post below..you know, the one where you were chugging down tequila..

BWAHAHAHA!

 
At 4/20/07, 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

heheh. you need veges as you get old :P they contain many vital vitamins!! i think living by yourself makes you realise how good veges are :)

so should i make you a big bowl of salad next time? heheh

- tammy

WHY cant i log into my blogger.. oh well...

 
At 4/20/07, 2:45 PM, Blogger Oil Central said...

uiks... no need to make your own wantan... can buy premade frozen ones from asian markets.

 
At 4/20/07, 5:04 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

tam: no no vegies.

waiking: but then store bought not as nice as home-made.

 
At 4/21/07, 1:41 PM, Blogger BaBy MiLo said...

lol...mel ur reputation precreeds you...u sure u din just move the few bottles of corona into ur hse mate's fridge from your alco stash to make it look like its ur fridge?

 
At 4/21/07, 7:19 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

BAH!!! ye people of little faith!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home