Monday, March 02, 2009

Week 2: An open letter to Death Cab For Cutie.

Dear Death Cab For Cutie,

I love you. I really do love you. I love you so much so that I'll have one of your songs be the first song played on my wedding day (Passenger Seat) as well as my funeral (I Will Follow You Into The Dark). If I could go back in time, I'd probably play one of your songs in the room at Templer's Hospital where my mom gave birth to me just so that your song would be the first thing I hear when I enter this world (The New Year - I'll explode out of the womb in a frantic burst of drums and guitars).

When you came to Sydney during my 2nd, 4th and 5th years here, I was there at every show singing/shouting out the lyrics to your songs, taking a million photos of you working your guitars, drums and mics on stage and buying any merchandise that you had to offer. If you had come to Sydney during my 1st and 3rd years here too, I promise you I would have gone to watch you play because you are just so good up close and live!



Like all relationships however, there are bound to be some moments of disappointment. I have watched you play in three shows and you've still not played A Lack of Colour.

What gives?!

I know that as an indie band, you probably like to shy away from the commercially popular so as not to seem like a sell-out (case in point: your penchant for playing in small venues like Enmore theatre and Home bar). I blame The O.C. for turning A Lack of Colour into a commercial giant (another case in point: bald guy standing in front of me in Enmore last week kept shouting "Play the O.C. song!" while I felt like rubbing some DeepHeat Muscle Relaxant Ointment on his bald head).

Perhaps you do not like to be associated with The O.C. and who can blame you? It just so happened that A Lack of Colour is one of my most favourite songs of yours and I think it is a real shame that I've not been able to hear you sing it to me LIVE. So please, think of me and my little broken heart and PLEASE play the song when you next come to Sydney.

I've even taken the liberty to set the music list for you for your next show!

The New Year (start the show with a BANG!)
Blacking Out the Friction
Coney Island
Different Names for the Same Thing
Expo '86
I Was a Kaleidoscope
Lightness
Marching Bands of Manhattan
A Moviescript Ending
Photobooth
The Sound of Settling
Tiny Vessels (Noticeably absent from most recent show, WHY?!)
Title and Registration
What Sarah Said
Your Heart Is An Empty Room.

Encore
I Will Follow You Into The Dark
Passenger Seat
A Lack of Colour
Transatlanticism

Feel free to mix up the songs in the middle because, obviously, you are the musician and I am only a fan who worships the ground that you walk on, so you would know which songs are better suited to follow which. However, the first song and the encore songs should stay as it is, in my humble opinion.



Come back to Sydney soon, love!

Love you long time,
Melanie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home