Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Malaysia Uncovered: Day 1 - Who said Malaysia is losing its forests (and racial unity)!?

I am a bite victim of the travel bug. Ever since visiting Langkawi sans parents at the end of 2005, I’ve been lusting after the excitement and the thrill of adventure that comes with every road trip planned. This lust has become the parent of numerous trips which I have undertaken either by myself or with friends, most notably, the drive from Cairns. However, as much as I have (kind of) traveled, I’ve never really traveled around my own country. Which is why, when my cousin suggested we do something grand when she came to visit, I jumped at the idea of doing a trip around Malaysia.

To be honest, I don’t really know a lot about this place which I fervently call home as I have yet to set foot into Perlis, Kelantan or Sabah even though I am now 22 years of age. In my opinion, there is just so much left to see, so many treasures yet to discover and so many places left to love. And what better time to do it than now, right before I enter into the work force (ok la, not really the work force la cos I’ll be working in the lab – but that’s a story for another day)? It can be my sort-of last hurrah before I sell my soul to paychecks and a 9-to-5 schedule.

Anyway, on the first day we made our way to Cherating, with a stopover in Kuantan.




The drive to Kuantan gave me a false impression that Malaysia was a big and vast country filled with acres and acres of palm oil and rubber trees as far as the eye can see (actually, Malaysia is puny). No photos of the greenery that I'm talking about because there is no time for photography when you're driving.


It rained the whole damn way to Cherating - which accounted for the gloomy atmosphere outside.


For dinner that night, I had stuffed crabs in a little chinese seafood shop in Kemaman. The moment I sat down, I noticed that there were Malay families eating at the same restaurant! Now, as someone from Kajang and used to the various vicinities of greater KL/PJ, I have to admit that I've never seen Malay families mingling and eating in a chinese restaurant. When I was eating my incredibly over-priced mini stuffed crab, I came to the conclusion that East Coast Malay folks were probably more tolerant and open-minded than West Coast Malay folks.

Hey, I'm just sayin' that it's nice to see both races sitting down in the same chinese restaurant having a meal. Sure, the Chinese and the Malays have eaten from the same restaurants numerous times, but they're usually mamaks, malay eateries or fastfood joints, no? I could've gladly eaten another over-priced mini stuffed crab to celebrate this joyous occasion if only it wasn't so fucking expensive (RM7.50/crab the size of my palm...and I have small hands).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home