Sunday, January 01, 2006

What's another year?

It is 9.14 a.m. and I’m staring out at a wonderfully cloudy and overcast first day of 2006.

To ponder on 2005 now would take an extreme feat of effort…considering that I’ve only had about 4 hours of sleep…but I shall try, so bear with me.

2005 held a great deal for me…this was the year where I could finally prove to myself and show that I could be independent away from my parents’ lock, stock and key; away from my friends and away from all that I was familiar with.

January and February was filled with anticipation. March through to mid-May was filled with wonder and awe and a slight refusal to believe that I had finally made it this far. End-of-May held a little bit of despair…the thought of not being able to celebrate my birthday with my parents and old friends for the next 3 years can be quite sobering indeed. By June, I was slightly weary and bored…tired of studies, tired of taking the bus to uni, tired of hearing about my friends going out to mamak stalls and Luna Bar through MSN, tired of having to wash my own clothes every second Sunday of the week. Come October, I was filled with excitement and anticipation again…November passed without any glitches; exams were easily forgotten after the paper was done EXCEPT ONE (but since it’s the New Year and Auld Lang Syne etcetc, it shall not be mentioned). By December, I was ecstatic.

Yes. As always, a year filled with relatively little significance. As always.

To you whom I’ve hurt. I’d just like to say that I’m sorry. It didn’t quite turn out the way I wanted it to be, did it? And I can only blame myself for the situation that we’re in right now. If you still come here occasionally and you read this…I’d just like to say that I’m really truly sorry. It was never meant to turn out this way. Hopefully 2006 will hold something better for us, eh?

To you whom I’ve become quite attached to. There wasn’t really much hope for us, or actually, for me, to begin with in 2005. I don’t think 2006 will hold much promise either. It’s sad, isn’t it? I hope you’ll never know.

And to everyone else! Thanks for being there for me! When I was feeling quite alone in Sydney, some of you were there to cheer me up…which I really REALLY appreciate…even if you didn’t know that you were doing any cheering…hahahaha…but truly, thanks.

From what little that I can recall from last night, I spent the last few hours of 2005 stuffing my face full with spaghetti, fried beehoon, curry chicken, fruit salad swimming in what I can only hope to be lots and lots of cream and mayo, butter fish, yong tau foo and grass jelly. Then I foolishly challenged two top chess players, in hope that their judgement would be clouded by alcohol. But like always, I got outwitted, outplayed and outlasted. Although I DID get Wey Chien tipsy; although I was checkmated by his two pawns. Oh the embarrassment. Then, I spent the first few hours of 2006 recalling back old times and throwing everything that went down my oesophagus up and out into the toilet bowl. Contrary to popular belief, gorging yourself with food, and not alcohol, WILL make you throw up. Finally the night, or rather, morning was spent washing up. How utterly unglamorous.

Oh yes.

I hope you had a wonderful New Year’s Eve bash last night!

The fireworks weren’t all that great.

Sleeping at 5 and waking at 8.30 isn't fun...at all.

And please, don’t drink Remy Martin.



Pre-Zouk...


Post-Zouk...notice our cheery eyes and bright smiles??


On the floor: Linda, Elaine, Melly and Chandran. On the sofa: Wey Chung, Wey Chien and Wong.


It's true. We love each other very much.


PuiYan+Melly!

1 Comments:

At 1/2/06, 7:20 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

the remy martin was..bitter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home