Monday, October 06, 2008

Week 31: Birthday presents

i've been meaning to talk about this for a long time now and i'm two years too late. but better late than never, eh?

over the past 22 years, i've had some pretty awesome presents and awesome birthday parties too. for my inaugural birthday, my parents threw a huge party where everyone ate, drank beer and was merry. however, i have no memories of that birthday and when leafing through the pictures taken of that wondrous night, only 5% contained my actual face. good times.

for my 6th birthday, i had a pretty awesome party too. heaps of my friends (and their parents) came. there was beer and liquor. i had a barbie doll birthday cake mod style (she was carrying a handbag how sweet). i got to ride my 4-wheeled bicycle in the house and played pin-the-donkey and pass-the-present-wrapped-in-fuckloads-of-newspaper-until-the-music-stops-then-the-person-holding-it-unwraps-to-find-SURPRISE-MORE-NEWSPAPER! what wasn't a surprise, though, was that i lost in every single game and i cried like how a fucking sore-loser 6 year old girl would. good times.

my parents learned from their mistakes and birthday parties were never the same ever again. and i mean, no more huge parties, no more games, no more people (except for a very few).

to be honest, i don't really remember what presents i got. i'm bringing up visions of books books and more books, the occasional barbie doll and products from bodyshop. in recent years, i have received a ring (!!), a countryroad duffel bag, bracelets AND the sweetest birthday present ever!

sneaky but sweet. i loved it the moment i saw it! a string of photos of a few of my favourite people in the world! each with a letter spelling my name out! and at the back are birthday messages! I LOVE BIRTHDAY MESSAGES! [Ed. note: All messages typed out ad verbatim]


Happy 20th Birthday! May you be merry, happy and happily drunk during your birthday. The Man.

1 of 5 people directly responsible for my losing battle against the ROH bottle. and yes, you DID sign off as The Man. shameless.


Happy birthday Melanie. Have fun with what's left of your life. Oh man, that didn't sound right. Haha.

no wonder i am so emo when i have friends like you, spoon-feeding me with the latest emo songs.



no message. WHAT THE FUCK!? you are banned from Kajang forever more.


Happy birthday Mel. I miss you lots here. Have a sweet 20th birthday there. I'll be waiting for you here... luv ya always and friendship foreVA muaks..

here there here everywhere! hahaha and you used a page of the chinese calendar..I KNOW!


Dear Melanie Ho, It's been a fucking good friendship we had ... *rambles on about langkawi, luna bar, pillows* Whether we stay in the 'hood or we...graduate from it...haha...whenever we walk and stalk into bars we shall always turn heads.

the mastermind of this whole fiasco..!


Mel, Happy birthday dear, Love you loads!

damn sad no effort in the photo boohoooohooo...hong yin had to add the 'i' there using MS Paint. and it was my photo to begin with! can i stamp my foot now?


Happy 20th Birthday! Wishing you many happy returns of the day! and let's drink to your health!! Cheers!!!

my wingman if i ever had one! how many times have we gotten drunk and witnessed each other rushing to the toilet bowl? too many times.

the reason why i'm suddenly bringing this up is because i've been redecorating my room! ok la not so much redecorating but more repositioning my photos. i would've done this sooner if it weren't for the fact that they were already stuck on my wall and i couldn't be fucked to peel the blu-tac off. so once again...THANKS GUYS I LOVE ALL OF YOU HEAPS (except wong weng yew wtf for not writing a birthday message and implying that i was a Loser)!

however, my best birthday present would have to be my black 80Gb iPod classic i got this year of which i have no photo right now. SWWEEEEEEEEETTTTTTT! thanks ma and pa.

8 Comments:

At 10/7/08, 10:20 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

yeah Mel. I think we saw the toilet bowl wayyyy too many times!

GOod luck redecorating! HOpe you didn't use the cheap ass blue tack. That melts into the wall and then you're screwed.

Stick to the brand BOSTIK.

 
At 10/8/08, 1:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm 'bo' in hokkien will mean 'no' so BOSTIK sounds like not sticking..hahah sorry la just the first thing that came to my head.

ALAMAK the pic shows the calender so clearly. but i rmb adjusting the saturation/contrast/colour bla bla bla so carefully..bleh!

 
At 10/8/08, 1:19 AM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

dan: hahahaha i wonder if we're gonna have any more toilet bowl sessions...nola the blue tack came out fine!

nikki: yea i was trying to see which date you used to write! and it was all so colour-coordinated! red baju, red ink, red calendar paper..SO HOONG!

although i must admit i laughed at the friendship foreVA (did you really spell it like that?) cos it reminded me of primary school days and buku autograf.

 
At 10/9/08, 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello hello. eh i didnt know there was supposed to be a message. was only told to provide the photo...

lang ching teet. didnt mean to say you are a loser. hahaha why lah so defensive and perasan suddenly :)

 
At 10/9/08, 11:09 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

turtle: hahaha what do you mean perasan? perasan that you were blatantly calling me a loser ON MY BIRTHDAY!? so ya, see la, even lily who didn't provide a photo still gave a birthday message SIGH...

what am i to do with you!? should i still hand out assistance?!

 
At 10/10/08, 9:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh i really didnt mean to say anything bad lah. if anyone should be a loser it is me. dont be angry ok? i will redeem myself dont you worry...

 
At 10/11/08, 1:29 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

haha chill la why so serious?! ya i stole that line from the dark knight.

 
At 10/11/08, 4:31 PM, Blogger Stephen Tan said...

Heya Mel!

How u doing?

All d best for ur thesis! Don't be last minute like me.

Dying! Aghh..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home