Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Antarctic Week 3: My losing trend does not discriminate geographically.

i've lost my camera! ok i don't think it's been stolen - i've probably just misplaced it somewhere and i have a sneaking suspicion that it's in my room. it's just that i can't seem to find it...but then again, if you can find anything at all in my room, you're probably extremely lucky.

that being said, my room in Davis station has turned into a veritable blackhole! anything that goes inside never ends up coming back out or seeing the light of day again (which is saying a lot, considering that 'the light of day' in antarctica, for now, is a healthy dose of 24 HOURS!).

so far i have lost:

a pair of woollen mittens
my camera
a half-eaten bar of Time-Out
my brown short-sleeved Topshop cardigan
a National Geographic magazine
Calvin and Hobbes' Attack Of The Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons
sleep
a quarter of my sanity

that's quite a lot of stuff, eh, for 3.5 weeks? the reason why sleep and sanity are in the picture is because, work starts at 7.30 am. i feel like i'm back in Sek. Men. Jalan Bukit Kajang each time i walk into the general science building. but at least it's not as bad as Taylor's or heaven-forbid-it-from-ever-happening-again 1st Year 8 a.m. USYD MATH LECTURES! fuck me silly but i still have nightmares thinking of those 6 a.m. bus-rides into uni.

anyway, i was hoping to upload some photos taken whilst i was on the Vestfold Hills death march but since i can't find my camera, it'll just have to wait. by the way, for some reason unknown to myself, it is awfully AWFULLY cold here in antarctica today. and the wind gusts have just been phenomenal. it was gusting at 40 knots/hour and i literally had to bend forwards to an angle of about 30 degrees in order to prevent myself from being blown away as i struggled my way to science...TALK ABOUT DEDICATION! i defy anyone else who tells me that they put more effort into going to work as i just did. if the wind gets any stronger, i just might have to ice-axe my way to science on my belly. i'd so totally would.

ok, au revoir from antarctica. till next time (if i don't fall into a crevasse, that is)!

1 Comments:

At 12/16/09, 12:42 PM, Blogger tammeegoreng said...

argh!!! well im assuming you found it since you did end up uploading those death march photos!!? But for a second there i thought to myself "thank god i didn't lend mel my camera!!!" ... ahhh but would it be worth it even if i got a few nice pictures!!!!

hmmm probably not.

xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home