Thursday, May 22, 2008

Week 11: Grander scheme of things.

if you read newspapers or watch the nightly news programme, you should know that myanmar was recently hit by a cyclone which has pretty much devastated the country. and then, there was also the earthquake in china which happened mere days apart from the first tragedy. so much devastation in such a short time.

so there i was eating my dinner in front of the telly watching the 9.30 world news on SBS and watching the scenes in myanmar unfold, when i was suddenly struck by this overwhelming realisation: here i was sitting with my legs folded up on my lumpy yet comfy couch, eating from a bowl of maggi curry (imported from malaysia - the good stuff) et egg, watercress and tofu-pok (my maggi meals are healthy like that) while at the same time my mind is comprehending images of children dead and floating in the waters in myanmar! and $2 says that they're not only shown dead on telly but they are, at that very moment, dying back there!

if that doesn't put shit into perspective, then i don't think anything will. then i started muttering pianissimo to myself random stuff like 'fuck urchins, what are you doing here BIGGER THINGS ARE AT STAKE!' and then i began to wonder what the consequences would be like if i up and went and told maria that i wanted to put my honours on hold and join Caritas Australia so that i could be a volunteer in myanmar. what would my parents say if i suddenly turned up in front of E112 with a mercy band around my arm going, hey man..i'm back but i'm heading off to myanmar..just to let you know.

would they start screaming at me? or would they pat me on the back?

i mean, what is climate change compared to this?! ok climate change is very important and will have devastating long-term effects but i mean, it's gonna be in the long term whereas the aftermath of this cyclone is now. NOW! that should be first priority right?

ahh..i just realised all the above was just pointless rambling which will ultimately lead to one conclusion i.e. it will be another day for me and the urchins at the byrne lab. sigh...why do i even bother?

. . .

right. ok. let's all just be honest here la ok? in your opinion, do you think i swear too much? and if you answered yes to the first question, does it put you off? i mean, do you go tsktsk each time you chance upon the word fuck littered about my posts? and if you answered yes again (!!!), do you think i should cut back on the swearing because, i mean, we all know what society thinks about girls who swear too much...and it's not good thoughts.

ok la, i need feedback! if you think it's fine and it doesn't bother you, then i won't give a fuck. but if it does, then some soul-searching and reflecting will probably be required on my part. so let me know, cos too many people have been saying that i swear too much BUT they don't say if they're offended or not. it's like, yea you swear a lot now...*crickets chirping in the background*. not helpful at all.

kthxbye.

11 Comments:

At 5/24/08, 1:40 AM, Blogger Gene said...

your fucks are so refreshing.

wait.

your "fuck's" are so refreshing to hear.

and aren't you the single cause of urchins going onto the endangered list? or at least in the near future?

 
At 5/24/08, 2:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoa your friend gene seems to imply something scandalous...

 
At 5/24/08, 5:40 PM, Blogger tammeegoreng said...

i think we should worry about climate change, because climate change is the main cause for the mass of cyclones/earthquakes/tsunamis which have been littering our world in the past years. I'm sure your marine research will somehow coincide with effects of climate.

Also, I think excessive swearing is a sign of unhappiness/stress/inner anger, because I used to swear in every sentence and it made me feel good man... I know I'm stressed when I swear heaps, but then again I'm an angry person so it's just part of my nature to swear.

Maybe you can blame the genes or something --- "It's in my family's genes!"

Wow that was a long sentence. You're coming to cherrybrook now, but I'm going to the city --- bye bye

 
At 5/24/08, 7:49 PM, Blogger Gene said...

trust me, nothing scandalous.

its a little hard to when im in the outback(perth). =D

 
At 5/25/08, 5:21 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

gene: king of one-liners, i bow down at your feet. and yes, well, i can only claim to be single-handedly causing the depletion of the population of urchins in little bay. others i'm not so sure.

and i didn't know perth was the outback LOL! don't let kailan see that..she's damn patriotic towards the WA.

wwy: LOL! yea, i ride with the cream of society.

tam: yea, i totally understand what you mean! sometimes when i say FUCK, i sit back and give myself a little smile cos it feels so good! oh, yea, i'll see you soon!

 
At 5/25/08, 8:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm... many fucks, i like.

 
At 5/25/08, 8:11 PM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

eh anonymous, why are you so creepy la? state your name, my friend!

 
At 5/29/08, 1:26 AM, Blogger Gene said...

but still, swearing is bad la mel.

how to be patriotic towards WA when the bloody footy teams keep losing in the last quarter of every game. if it keeps up, they'll change every game played in Subi to a three-quarter game. maybe then they'l win.

 
At 6/4/08, 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do dislike swearing regardless of gender. So I look at WaiK and you the same way. haha..

But because of societal expectations, I guess ur under a lot more pressure 2 "clean up" ur mouth compared to Mr Yongker. Altho both of u are fine exponents of the flying F***.

Really not trying to be holier than thou. U asked for honesty so I give u honesty. I've had it with the Asian culture of not speaking ur mind and keeping up appearances. If the truth hurts so be it.

I'm not offended per se, but by u swearing it just affects my perception of you as a person. Doesn't mean I think any less of you as a person.

Forgive me if my honesty offends.

BTW heard ur going for DCFC for the 2nd time in 3 years!!! I wanna go too! Jo Ann is meant to get me some tix! Hopefully its not sold out...

 
At 6/5/08, 12:44 AM, Blogger ..melanie.. said...

lol ok since there are already 2 people who have voiced out their displeasure, i shall take heed and the appropriate action.

no worries steppo, i've been told many things, which were much worse than what you have said, to my face..so it's ok. no offence taken!

 
At 6/5/08, 4:23 AM, Blogger dAv said...

YOUR FUCKS ARE WHAT MAKE YOU DAMN DOWN RIGHT SEXY. oh yeah baby hahahaha

 

Post a Comment

<< Home